Thursday 3 January 2008

Ha! ppy New Year!


i want to celebrate the new year by uploading one of my favourites. it's not the most striking heart, i suppose, but i like the texture of the gate on which it's painted. the real joy for me is the photograph in the photograph on the left.
when i was at college i stopped taking photographs (gelatine in the process vs vegan principles being the cause) and started to work with found photos, mostly from house clearances, retitling the image to make it into my own artwork. so imagine my joy when i'm out working with animal-friendly digital cameras and i find a photo... opposite a heart! i love the laddish conent of the snap, and the fact that it's been stolen or lost and then left nicely on top of a telephone exchange box. the heart is quite laddish too, i think - certainly not a feminine look to it.
my first photography project on my foundation course at Shelley Park was about telephone exchange boxes. three projects, coming together nicely. good to have some faces in the picture too - i don't often have faces in my pictures - if you were to look through all the love landscape images you won't find people in any of them, as far as I can recall, even in the bigger landscapes. It's one of my many rules... i'll come back to my rules in another post.

No comments: