Wednesday 5 November 2008

Almost Witnessing History


I flew home from New York yeaterday, a day too soon to witness one of the greatest days in US history, the election of Barack Obama as President. The feeling the day before the Election, in New York at least, was one of huge anticipation. I felt the urge to wear an Obama button, and I often had to stop and shake hands with other supporters, mostly black guys who seemed impressed to see a puny white man wearing the badge of the man who embodied their hopes and dreams. Most white people I met and spoke to were Obama supporters too (the one or two who weren't were good natured enough to laugh about it) but I think it's important to stress that the excitement was not just about his colour - he is a truly inspirational speaker and an intelligent and thoughtful human being. Unlike his predecessor.


I should warn you now that I will probably go on about New York for some time - I'll be trying hard not to be a travel bore around my friends, and this blog will allow me the space. I also took hundreds of photographs and will be working through the love landscape images over the coming days and weeks...


The picture above is unusual for me as it includes a self portrait - or a lapel, at least. It seemed relevent here, and there, as I was wearing the Obama button. This was on the Brooklyn Bridge, a place where there were so many hearts I was running short of parts of the bridge and views of the bridge to shoot to place alongside them. So I thought 'what shows the place and time that is relevent to here and now', and the Obama button was it. It was taken in an instant, and I liked the random composition, so here it is... the relevence of the word Jesus in the heart is entirely unrelated to the man Obama, though, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Richard Jeffery said...

looking forward to it...