Thursday 6 November 2008

I love NY, I really do.

Two new things: firstly, I'm going to try and post daily (or daily on the days when I should be sat here working, so probably not every day daily) and secondly, I'm going to start including a google map for each image. Partly to remind me where I took it, and partly to give you the opportunity to see where I took it.

This was in Soho, on the corner of Grand and Wooster, and as you can see, it's huge. Unfortunately, it's a Banksy piece, so it's a mural and not really graffiti, and was painted by a signwriter working for a commercial media company (see
http://gothamist.com/2008/09/27/banksy_mural_going_up_right_now_in.php and then http://gothamist.com/2008/09/28/banksy_loves_new_york_the_completed.php to see the work in progress and then the completed image).

So this presents me with a dilemma. If it isn't graffiti, should it be part of my series? If it's painted with permission, and is a (very) commercial artist's design, it just doesn't fit with my agenda. I aim to display hearts left seruptitiously in places they probably shouldn't be, and so while this is a spectacular and entertaining piece of street art, I can only include it here as an example of street art including hearts and not real graffiti at all. It also shows how all supposedly anarchic and revolutionary artists become signwriters eventually. I'm amused by Banksy, but I'm not a fan.

Click here for the map

No comments: