Friday 29 August 2008

A Whole Lotta Love

Close to the fantastic campsite we stayed at in the Forest of Dean (notice how positive I'm being? It's because I'm going out for a vegan pizza tonight - at least that's what I'll be ordering; we'll see how they cope!) was a roadsign. The road sign was covered in hearts. Unfortunately it was also getting dark and what light there would have been was also hidden beyond a canopy of trees below a heavy sky.

I don't recall what the village was called, though it had a green with a red phonebox, which was nice, and clearly a lot of happy young loved-up kids who spent their evenings professing their adoration for each other on this dirty old sign. Either that or it was a noticeboard for local doggers, but I prefer to think of it as the former...

I'm far from convinced that this photograph (the heart) is in focus, but for me it works nonetheless. A good photo (and I'm not suggesting that this is one of my better shots, but I like it) can work regardless of technical perfection, I think. I see a lot of technically marvelous but deadly dull shots around, and I'd rather have a picture that says what it was meant to say despite being technically inferior than a picture that didn't speak to me. This one I can look at and it clearly says 'sit'... but I hope it helps to tell the story of this romantic / dirty place.

That's my excuse, anyway.

No comments: