Tuesday 15 December 2009

Boy with an Exquisite Heart

untitled_versailles_02I’m no closer to solving the mystery of the royalist heart, but  here’s another offering from Versailles, this time from the edge of  the Forêt Domaniale de Versailles‎. I know the location because there was a big brown sign opposite with the words ‘Forêt Domaniale de Versailles‎’ written on it.

It was taken here, on the least interesting side of an unusually ornate and marbled electricity substation and was obviously sprayed in the same pink as the numbers marked on the stacks of timber nearby.

ParisOctober2009-068 It is an exquisitely beautiful heart. I asked Sunny, age 7, to take my portrait alongside it, which is the portrait used at the moment on my profile for this blog. I took his portrait in return.

There is something about this heart that makes me think of Picasso – I think it’s the appearance of a swirl in the upper right that does it. I can’t think where I’ve seen a Picasso heart and several attempts through Google have only led me to a cross-stitch design based on an original, so I’m still not sure of the original’s title. I’ll keep looking, just so that I can be sure that I did  see a Picasso heart with a swirl somewhere other than on a cross-stitch pattern.

This was very close to the wonderful Huttopia, where we were staying, just at the entrance to the forest, close to a playground. It’s beautiful. I hope nobody paints over it before we visit again.

love | landscape

No comments: