Saturday 29 August 2009

Love on the Foreshore

sylvia

In my last post I mentioned the lovely heart on the foreshore in Swanage that I’d photographed but that hadn’t worked out too good. I went back earlier this week and re-shot it, taking more time and being more careful with my use of filters etc than last time. This time I got what I wanted.

The foreshore is one of my favourite places to walk. It’s multisensory in every way, so much to look at, the smell of seaweed, fishing boats and bits of fish, the taste of salt spray on a windy day and the feel of the spray too, or the warm breeze, or the cold water when you’re barefooted and the tide is high. There’s also the sixth sense that you’re in a place with a rich history and that you’re walking among the ghosts of fishermen long gone – or maybe that’s just the poetic fool in me reading too much into a pleasant stroll.

Whoever scratched this heart into the stone loves Sylvia. I thank them both and wish them well.

The foreshore is here. It’s really quite special.

love | landscape

No comments: