Monday 18 May 2009

Art Week, Hurtling Towards Me


Every year I tell myself that I'll be ready early for Dorset / Purbeck Art Week and every year I find myself in a crazy rush the week before. This is the week before and I'm now in a crazy rush, sitting here putting way too many £££s worth of ink on lovely lovely paper that costs more than I like to think about and I know that if I want I could be sat here doing this til midnight... and you never really know if it's worth it until the Art Week is over. Even then sometimes you wonder why you put yourself through it!

However. I know why I do it. If I didn't I'd have less incentive to get my work together and to a point nearing finished. This is a never-ending project and I'm hopeless without a deadline, so the imposition of a deadline makes me get things done. And every year since I started this thing I find myself meeting strange and interesting people who express a fascination with what I'm doing. Hence the 'strange'! But that makes it more than worthwhile. It makes it wonderful, and it makes me keep going.

This is a heart found at Studland, a few miles from here. Being a local picture it stands a chance of selling during Purbeck Art Week! I don't do these pictures necessarilly to sell of course - I'd have given up a long time ago if that was the case. I do them because that's what I do, and each picture tells a little story about the place it was in or the person who put it there. Then when they're put together in a book, they tell a story about Love and about People In Love and about the world we live in, with all its love and hate and anger and warmth and how we cope with that as a species. So I really hope to sell some books, as there's an awful lot to learn in there!

This heart at Studland is here.

No comments: