Wednesday 5 March 2008

With Love Red


This is another image from Bournemouth. Have I written about Red before? Red was a grafitti writer who I felt like I was stalking around town, as his or her tag was a heart symbol. I heard, later, that Red had been arrested, and maybe reformed, though now and then a new heart appears in Bournemouth that has the same style and finish...


This picture was taken under the flyover in the upper gardens - one of my favourite places. Vast slabs of concrete towering above, frozen waves of cobble adding texture, and the green of the pine-planted gardens to either side. Now and then, a splash of colour too, before the grafitti is cleaned away again, leaving a blank canvas for the next time. It feels like a futuristic place to me, like the world we were promised in science fiction movies from the seventies. Many of those movies, it turns out, were filmed at the abandoned Olympic Village in Montreal. I went there once, and loved that too - I'd love to go back and look out for lovehearts.

No comments: